Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sorry, but It's Another Meatloaf Recipe

I know I did meatloaf pretty recently, but I was inspired to do it again.  There is a story behind this one.  Sometimes you do it out of love.

This weekend Kevin and I were having dinner at our new favorite local spot 360.  He was really looking forward to the Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf.  It's good stuff.  It's nice and spicy and saucy and doesn't contain any blue cheese.  Imagine our surprise when we looked at our menus and saw it was no longer there.  They still had their beef meat loaf, but the chicken one was gone.

Later on in the meal the chef came by our table to ask how things were.  We told him we enjoyed our meal as always, but we wanted to know what had happened to the Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf.

He apologized for it going missing, but there just wasn't enough consistent demand for it.  He uses ground beef in multiple dishes, but ground chicken only gets used in meatloaf.  Then he said if we really wanted the chicken meat loaf that if we called ahead of time and let him know that's what we wanted, he would grind the chicken thighs and have it ready for us.  Now that's what I call service!

Knowing my poor husband really missed his chicken meatloaf, I decided to do my own version for dinner this week.  I lightened it up by mixing in lots of vegetables.  I used the traditional celery, but I also added shredded carrots.  I used almond meal instead of breadcrumbs to keep it gluten free.  I also used just ground chicken breasts.

When I went to start cooking I realized that I had no Frank's.  How could I be out of hot sauce?  I had sriracha, but I didn't want to use it since it would only tempt me to make the meatloaf more Asian than Buffalo.

I came up with a perfect solution.  I made my own hot sauce.  I had some dried guajillo and arbol chiles, so I soaked them in boiling water, whirled them in a blender, and added some salt and vinegar.  Problem solved.

Mine was not as good as 360's.  It wasn't as saucy or as spicy (in other words mine needed more sauce).  It was also kind of dry.  Well, I did use breast meat instead of thigh meat, which is what they use at 360 plus it has lots of vegetables in it.


I had plenty of time to set up the light box, but I didn't.  I wish I ate dinner early enough so that I would just have natural light to photograph my dishes with.  This is great with green beans and sweet potatoes.

Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbl olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 3 ribs of celery, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 packages ground chicken breast
  • 1 cup almond meal
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup hot sauce, plus more for spreading on top
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly grease a loaf pan.

Heat olive oil in a skillet and add onions.  Cook until soft. Add carrots and celery and cook until they are mostly soft.  Adjust for seasoning. Allow to cool a few minutes.

Mix vegetables with chicken, eggs, almond meal, and hot sauce.  Pack into pan.  Cover the top with additional hot sauce.

Bake for about 60-75 minutes.

No comments: