Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

It's Still Summer at the Market!

Hello Muffins.  Did everyone have a fun Labor Day?  I know I did.  I spent the weekend at a Bed & Breakfast, rode my ponies all weekend, had dinner at my favorite restaurant, The Iron Forge Inn, and even spent part of the day at the Renaissance Faire.

So now they tell me summer is over.  I was always told in school that the end of summer is marked by the autumnal equinox, not Labor Day.  For the next three weeks the days will still be longer than the nights, the weather will still have a good chance at staying warm, and, most of all, the farmer's markets will still have some of their bounty.

I know I haven't been posting many recipes this summer.  I suppose that's because so much of what I have been cooking has been simple recipes that let those farm-fresh ingredients speak for themselves.  It's stuff that I suppose is worth sharing, but at the same time, does anyone need a recipe for any of it?  That's why despite my commitment to more healthful eating, the recipes you are seeing here most often are the things I make for special treats and not regular meals.

I did some clever stuff this week, so I thought it was time to share.

When my husband told me yet again that he wanted turkey burgers for dinner, I decided right away to make yet another variation on ground turkey.  I saw a recipe online somewhere (and I lost the link and can't remember what the recipe was called, so I'm sorry I can't give full credit) for turkey burgers with zucchini and corn.  Burgers are kind of delicate for large loads of vegetables, so I made a turkey meat loaf.

This was made from:

2 pounds ground turkey
2 medium zucchini, shredded
1 large onion, diced
Kernels cut from one ear of corn
5 basil leaves, torn
1/2 cup almond flour (bread crumbs are fine if you prefer)
1 egg

I sauteed all of the vegetables and basil  in a little olive oil and then mixed it in with the turkey, almond flour, and egg.  It went into the oven for an hour at 400 degrees.

It's nice with a side of buttery cauliflower puree.

I have not been into doing decent photographs lately.

A few days later I was craving Mexican, but not the heavy, deep-fried, cheese-filled glop that normally tempts my taste buds. I wanted something more in line with my eating plan. but had some spicy Mexican flavors.

I came up with Un-Tacos.  In other words I made some taco filling, but piled it all on large leaves of butter lettuce that could be eaten with a knife and fork, or rolled up (a bit messily) as if it were a true taco.

What went into my Un-Tacos?  First I roasted some chicken breasts after sprinkling them with salt, pepper, cumin, ancho chili powder, and ground coriander.

I rinsed and drained a can of black beans and mixed them with chopped avocado and chopped bell pepper.

This was laid on the lettuce leaves and then covered with homemade salsa. It was the perfect way to use the last of the summer tomoates.  I will provide my recipe, although it's crazy basic.  You really don't need one.

Summer is fading fast, but I'm happy I can still enjoy the bounty.

Homemade Salsa

Ingredients
  • 1 bowl of cold salt water
  • 1 Tbl vinegar
  • 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 2 tsp salt
  •  3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, cored, seeded and chopped
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 Tbl cilantro
Place onion in salt water and vinegar for about a half an hour.  This will take the bite out of the raw onion.

Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until everything is a slightly chunky liquid.  Serve with just about anything but dessert!




1 comment:

bellini said...

We still have one foot heavily into summer and the market is overflowing.