Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Meshugge Shiksa Strikes Again

How Meshugge is this shiksa?  I waited four days after Rosh Hoshanna to make a New Year dish and then waited another week to post it.

Most of the elements in my New Year Chicken will look familiar.  The ingredients are mostly the same.  This time around rather than do a quick-cooking sautéed dish, I did a long-cooking rice dish, inspired by an Arroz con Pollo recipe that came to my inbox via the multitude of food-related spam if receive daily. This is the slow-cooked comfort food version of the former dish.  My current chicken recipe consisted of cooking the chicken with the rice and then giving it a quick blast in the broiler to make the chicken crispy.  Then I sprinkled some almonds over the top for additional crunch.
 

My flavorings were very traditional for this time of year.  Everything was mostly sweet rather than savory or spicy.  I used wine, honey, caramelized onion, and dried apricots.  When you cook them in a dish this long they become nice and soft and almost impart a bit of tanginess.

I hope everyone who celebrated the High Holy Holidays this year had a joyous new year and an easy fast.

I will continue to be MIA a bit longer as I am returning to the stage this week (long overdue) as my theater group is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a retrospective concert.  I'll be singing wearing an electric bra!

I use brown rice for this.  If you prefer white, cut your cooking time down to 25 minutes.

New & Improved Meshugge Shiksa's New Year Chicken

Ingredients
  • 2 onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 Tbl olive oil
  • 6-8 bone-in chicken pieces of your choice
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 1 cup dried apricots
  • About a half a cup of whole, roasted almonds
Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large pan, heat olive oil over low heat.  Add onions and stir to coat.  Cook about 20 minutes, until they are soft and take on some color.  Remove from pan.  Bring heat to medium.

Place the chicken in the pan.  Brown chicken well on both sides - about 5-10 minutes per side.  Remove.

Add onions, broth, wine and honey.  Stir in rice and apricots.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and add chicken back to the pan.  Place in the oven and cook an additional 45 minutes or until rice is tender.

Set oven to broil.  Broil for an additional 3 minutes or until skin is crispy.  Remove from pan and sprinkle almonds over the top.

2 comments:

Blond Duck said...

It sounds amazing!

Emily said...

The chicken sounds delicious! I like sweet food. Good luck with your performance! Be careful with that bra.