Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Brown Butter Sage Chicken

I love pasta, and in many ways I am a traditionalist.  Sure I love all kinds of weird and creative pasta recipes, but deep down I know the old-time sauces are the best ones.  Give me something tomato based or slather that pasta with pesto.  I love a hearty thick pasta with a good ragu`. I'm not a huge fan of alfredo, but love a simple aglia e olio or cacio e pepe.

When it comes to certain types of pasta like mushroom ravioli or gnocchi, nothing beats brown butter sprinkled liberally with sage.  This combination comes up often on gnocchi and ravioli here at in the (dis)Ordered Kitchen.  It is comforting, slightly sweet, and has an oddly complex flavor for something so simple.

As with many of my favorite types of recipes, the time came that I wanted to take the concept outside of the box.  What else would brown butter and sage taste good on?  Well, that question is easily answered.  What protein am I constantly cooking?  How about brown butter and sage on chicken?

I used for my base recipe the traditional red-sauce-Italian-restaurant staple, chicken francese.  This is a recipe where you dip pounded chicken breasts in flour and egg, cook them up, then douse them with a lemony butter sauce.  I just tweaked that idea.

I battered my chicken  breasts and fried them up.  Then I browned the butter in the pan and crisped up some sage leaves in the butter.  I added just a hint of wine.  I wanted the wine to cut the richness of the butter sauce, but didn't want to compromise the sweetness.

Very basic, but very tasty.  This is a great weeknight dish.

Brown Butter Sage Chicken

Ingredients
  • 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
  • Flour for dredging (about a cup)
  • 2 tst salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 Tbl olive oil
  • 1/2 cup white wine (not too dry)
  • 3/4 stick butter
  • 6-8 fresh sage leaves
Mix together salt and flour in a dish.  In another dish, lightly beat the eggs.  Coat a piece of chicken in the flour, and then in the egg.  Set aside and repeat with all other pieces of chicken.

Heat the oil until shimmering over medium heat.  You want the pan hot or you will have eggy bits all over your pan and not on your chicken.  Cook the chicken breasts until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.  Remove from the pan and keep warm.

 Add the wine to the pan to deglaze.  Scrape up any bits at the bottom of the pan.  Add the butter and sage leaves to the pan and cook over medium heat.  Cook until it foams up and foam subsides and butter begins to darken and the sage leaves become crispy.  Test for seasoning and add salt if you need it.

Drizzle over your chicken breasts and serve. 

1 comment:

Emily said...

I think this dish sounds absolutely delicious. I love browned butter and sage and would prefer it over alfredo or red sauce any day.