Pages

Friday, July 18, 2014

Cherry Cobbler - Just For Us!

How do you define a cobbler?

I usually think of a cobbler as a fruit dessert topped with a crust, but it isn't a pie because a pie has a bottom crust. 

But what kind of a crust?

If it's a crumb or streusel type of topping, what makes it a cobbler and not a crisp?

If the fruit is cooked in a batter such as this type of cobbler recipe that somewhat negates my definition of a cobbler as a reverse fruit pie, doesn't it?

Wait.  A cobbler isn't always about fruit is it? (Although when I make a similar recipe to a chocolate cobbler, I call it brownie pudding.)

Anyway, a cobbler doesn't have to even be dessert.  I realized that my chicken pot pie isn't really a pot pie since it is just chicken and vegetable filling topped with biscuit dough.  I now call it Chicken Broccoli Cobbler.   Marc agrees with me.

I don't know.  The more I think about it I start to think dessert shouldn't be about asking questions.  Dessert just needs to taste good.

Every summer I try to make cherry pie.  It's my favorite type of fruit pie (well, maybe blueberry is, but life is too short to waste making silly choices like that).  I love making it when cherry season is in full swing. I often like to make an almond-studded version as I love the way the flavor of  cherries and almonds complement each other.

This summer I wanted to try something different.  Maybe the idea was just born of not feeling like rolling out pie crusts.  I won't say.  I just thought it would be fun to swap out the pie for an interesting cobbler.  I decided on a cherry-almond cobbler where a little amaretto would flavor my cherries and almonds would flavor my crust. 

Once I had my idea for my filling, how would I do the crust?  Would the crust be crumbs, biscuits, or something more like a piecrust?

I decided to go with biscuits.  I would make a regular sweet biscuit dough and spread it over the top.  
I made it gluten free by mixing the almond flour with King Arthur gluten-free all-purpose flour.  I learned the hard way that that almond flour and rice flour make very cake-like biscuits, but they still taste good and it would make an interesting crust for my cobbler. 

I just put the butter, flours, sugar, salt and baking powder in the food processor.  I tossed in the almonds and then gently stirred into the milk until I had a thick batter that I could pour over the cherries.

Cherries were macerated (I said MACERATED) with amaretto and sugar for an hour..  Before they went into the pan I stirred in some cornstarch.  I put them in a baking dish and covered them with biscuit dough and baked it until it was golden.

Eat this quickly or the top will become soggy. 

I found that the grainy texture of rice flour is still pretty prevalent in the topping, even with the almond flour mixed in.   I would like to try this with regular flour and see how that changes the consistency of the dough.  I might be able to create more of a crumble texture this way.  I will definitely try a non-gluten-free version in the future.  My recipe has an all-purpose flour option.

I had really wanted to make this for a crowd.  Remember how I said in my last post that I wanted to make it for the 4th of July party?  Since that idea was shot down I worried that I wasn't going to have a chance to make my wonderful cobbler idea.

Dejected I turned to Sir Pickypants and moaned that I we hadn't been invited to any parties where I could take this wonderful cherry cobbler recipe I had in my head.

"You can make it for me," he said.

Funny how rarely I do that anymore.  When was the last time I baked a dessert just for us?  In my efforts to keep my weight down, dessert goes out of the house as soon as it comes in.  Good for my waistline, but not happy for my poor husband who only takes a bite before it's whisked away.

Cherry Almond Cobbler

Ingredients
  • 4 cups cherries, pitted and stemmed
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/4 cup amaretto
  • 2 Tbl corn starch
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1 cup all purpose flour (gluten-free if you prefer)
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 1 Tbl baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup cold butter cut into pieces
  • 1 cup buttermilk
Place cherries,  1 cup of the sugar, and amaretto in a bowl.  Place in refrigerator for about an hour.  Right before using, stir in the cornstarch.  Pour into the bottom of a baking dish.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.  Place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.  Pulse in the butter until it looks like crumbs.

Place the flour mixture in a bowl and toss in the sliced almonds. and gently stir in the buttermilk.  You want to keep that crumbly texture and not quite incorporate it into a smooth dough.  Scatter this evenly over the cherries in the dish.

Place in oven and bake about 15 minutes or until crust is golden.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Yeaaaahss! I was hoping you'd make cherry cobbler! This looks fantastic. Mmm cherries and amaretto. I bought a bunch of cherries last week and you know what I did? I just ate them. I was so lazy and didn't bake anything.