Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

Still More Farmers' Market Fun

My quest to spend more time at the farmers' markets continues with full force this week.  I challenged myself to buy as few groceries as possible in a bricks-and-mortar store and create as many meals as I could just from farmers' markets finds.  I confess I had a few meals that contained grocery store items, but every meal consisted of something fresh as well.

My crowning achievement this week was the salad I created for my lunches.  Corn and peaches dominate the farm stands these days and I love them both dearly.  I wanted to integrate them both into the same dish.  I decided the best way to do that was with a salad that contained both.  I mixed fresh corn kernels with peach slices and little heirloom tomatoes.  When I first came up with the idea for this salad, I though ham would be the perfect protein to mix in and make it a meal.  Then I came across this cheesemaker at the farm market.

This is a very mild fresh goat cheese that mixes perfectly with fruit.


I had some inspiration for the dressing as well.  I found this grass-fed yogurt over the weekend.

I don't generally enjoy spooning yogurt directly into my face. I don't enjoy the taste that much (and don't dare tell me to stick it in the freezer and tell me that it can even begin to be as good as ice cream).  I do think it can work well in dressings, particularly for those of us who dislike mayonnaise more than we dislike yogurt.  I mixed some of the yogurt with honey (local again), mint, and lime juice.

I added tomatoes to the salad too for some more variety of texture and flavor.  These little heirlooms were just gorgeous.

It was a little monochromatic, but quite tasty and refreshing.  It had a pleasing mix of flavors and textures.

I wasn't sure what to call it since Peach-Corn-Tomato-Goat Cheese Salad seemed a little wordy.  I decided to call it Late Summer Salad, since it uses the ingredients that are always the best in late summer.

Late Summer Salad

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh mint leaves
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tsp mild honey
  • 4 peaches, sliced
  • Corn kernels cut from two cooked cobs
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes (mixed color heirloom tomatoes look and taste the best)
  • 6 oz mild goat cheese, crumbled

 In a small bowl whisk together first four ingredients.

Place remaining ingredients in a larger bowl.  Gently toss with the dressing.  Allow to sit for about an hour so that the flavors can really blend.

What else have I made from the market?

I grilled these pork chops on my new electric grill.  I served them with blueberry-balsamic dressing.

I made risotto with fresh sorrel and grilled sausages.

I feel so healthy!

What else did I make this week?

Pork chops from Gaia's Breath Farm topped with Blueberry Balsamic Sauce.  That new electric grill is coming in handy.


How about risotto?  I tried a new green this week.  I chopped up lemony sorrel leaves from Lani's Farm into risotto.  I added some grilled sauages, also from Gaia's Breath.


I don't know how much time I'll have for farm markets this week, so we'll see what kinds of wholesome foods I can come up with!

3 comments:

Rosemary Wolbert said...

I love the idea of mixing corn and peaches. And late summer salad is a perfect name for it.

Rosemary Wolbert said...

I love the idea of combining corn and peaches in a salad. And late summer salad is the perfect name for it. Continue to explore!

Emily said...

Mmm the salad looks and sounds good! That goat cheese looks like a good one.