Pages

Saturday, December 6, 2014

A New Pork Dish and A Food Survey

Hello my dear TERP Muffins!  I do hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.  I stayed home this year, but didn't cook anything.  Instead of having a house party, everyone headed to Pappardella on Columbus Ave.  We all had a lovely time and for the first time in years, I actually ordered the turkey dinner even though I had other choices.

The turkey was moist and tasty  The sweet potatoes were infused with parmesan, which I found surprising, but delicious.  Otherwise, there wasn't much else about the meal to comment on.  It was all good.

Oh yes, there is something else to comment on.  I started with an excellent, fresh bellini.
 

I realize I am way overdue for a new recipe.  I could bring up a list of excuses as to why I'm not developing new recipes lately.  I could devote yet another paragraph to my health woes and remind my readers yet again that I had surgery.  That would be dishonest as my surgery was almost a month ago and I'm walking around pretty well and starting physical therapy.

My real excuse is that I've been doing this for seven years, I have trouble keeping my recipe ideas fresh, and when I'm cooking for myself, I have seven years' worth of recipes I can go back to.

Fresh inspiration does strike me from time to time and when that happens, I know I have to blog about it.

Before I start with a new recipe though, I am going to post this little survey from Emily.  I love filling out this kind of stuff.  I love talking about myself.  I'm so narcissistic!

Breakfast 
Favorite cereal as a child?
Cocoa Pebble, much to my health-conscious mother's chagrin.
Coffee or Tea? With milk or without?
Meh.  I like the occasional tea and usually take it straight.  I think there is something weird about brewed leaves and milk.  I don't know why.   I think coffee as a straight beverage is kind of vile.  I like the flavor of coffee though.  If I drink coffee, it has to have lots of milk or cream.  Better yet, give me a cappuccino or latte or Irish coffee, or Thai iced coffee.
The one food you eat most often at breakfast.
Eggs and some veggies or a smoothie made from fruit, coconut milk, and almond butter.  Occasionally I make a pot of steel-cut oats.

Lunch 
Sandwiches are usually considered lunch food. If you had to choose from a grilled cheese sandwich or a peanut butter and jelly, which would you pick?
The angel on my shoulder says an almond butter or natural peanut butter with sugar-free jelly on sprouted grain bread.  The devil says grilled cheese. It's all good.
You can only put four ingredients in your salad (not including greens); what do you throw in the mix? Additionally, which greens and dressing do you pick?
I love a salad with arugula, shaved fennel, endive, and pine nuts with an orange-balsamic dressing.
One food you cannot live without at lunch.
I can't stick to one food at lunch.  I get bored too easily.  Water to wash it down is crucial.

Dinner 
It’s the end of the day. You’re tired, hungry, and your fridge is empty. If fast food (from a chain) is your only option, where do you go and what do you order?
I would probably go to Salsa Fresca down the street.  It's fresh and good for me and close by.  Otherwise, there is plenty of pizza in my neighborhood.
TV/Computer on or off while you are eating?
On
The one food you eat most often at dinner.
Chicken.  It's the one protein my husband and I both agree on.
Dessert 
Choose between two American desserts: cheesecake or apple pie.
I'd rather have something chocolate.  Can I say chocolate cheesecake?  Sometimes cheesecake is too tart for me and my husband is lactose intolerant, so I guess I should just go with apple pie.
Choose between two foreign desserts: tiramisu (Italy) or flan (Spain).
Tiramisu.  I like flan, but the flavor is often not intense enough for me.
Ice cream: cone or cup. I love a good sugar or waffle cone.  If it's a wafer cone, give me a double portion of ice cream in a cup.


Anyway, on to the recipe...

While food shopping this weekend I found this adorable little pork roast.  I have been craving some good pork and I knew I just had to buy this.  It was just a little over two pounds.

Once I bought it, I really had no idea what to do with it.  I tend cook pork with sweet sauces containing liqueurs, honey, molasses, and brown sugar.  I wanted to try something I have never tried with pork before.

I found some marsala in my liquor cabinet.  I have made chicken marsala many times, but I never tried marsala with pork.  I decided to try a marsala marinade.  Marsala is sweet, but I played down the sweetness by adding mustard, garlic, and rosemary and marinating it overnight.

It roasted up nice and browned and juicy.
I boiled the marinade to use as as sauce.  I kept the sides simple with haricots vert and roasted creamer potatoes.

This recipe is a keeper!

Marsala Pork Roast

 Ingredients
  • 1 small pork loin roast (about 2 pounds)
  • 1/2 cup marsala wine
  • 2 Tbl dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 4 cloves of garlic, lightly crushed
  • Salt and pepper
 Whisk together marsala, mustard, rosemary, and garlic.  Place the pork and the marinade in a large plastic bag.  Seal and let marinate overnight.

When ready to roast, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and remove the pork from the marinade.  Reserve marinade.  Sprinkle the pork roast with plenty of salt and pepper.  Place in a roasting pan and roast for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. 

Meanwhile boil the reserved marinade in a small saucepan until it thickens a bit. 

Remove roast from the oven.  Allow to sit for 10 minutes.  Slice and serve with the sauce.

No comments: