Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2015

A Chicken Dish For Fall

It's apple season.  Fall is apple season.  October is the time for apples.  It's time for apples, apples, and more apples.  This time of year, apples are the only seasonal produce that matters.

Or so I decree.

October has been a busy month for me.  It seems every weekend I have some kind of party or event.  On top of that, I'm working on a murder mystery play with my theater group and have to deal with rehearsals during the week.  Cooking new recipes falls by wayside quite often.  Still my father has an October birthday and I needed to carve out a little time to make him a nice dinner, even if it was two weeks late.

I incorporated apples into much of the meal.  I went into the archives and made my apple almond tart for dessert.  

But apples aren't just for dessert.  I made a main dish out of apples too.

The photo may not look all that appetizing, but this was a spectacular dish.  This dish combines my love of caramelized onion, sweet-savory combinations, and gooey cheese.  I cooked chicken breasts in a simple sauce of caramelized onions, apples, and brandy and then topped them with brie.  Initially I wanted to stuff them with brie, but in the end I just didn't want to be bothered.  They were perfect served over creamy mashed potatoes, lightly flavored with garlic.

The taste was not quite what I expected, but everyone loved them.  This recipe is a keeper.

Chicken in Apple Brandy Sauce with Brie

Ingredients
  • 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 Tbl olive oil
  • 1 Tbl butter
  • 3 onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 large firm apples, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup brandy
  • 5 leaves fresh sage
  • 1/2 pound (appox.) creamy brie, cut in thin slices

Heat butter and olive oil over low heat in a large pan.  Add the onions and cook until brown and well reduced (about 40 minutes).  Add apples and cook until soft.  Remove from pan.

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.  Raise heat to medium and brown the chicken well on both sides, about 5 minutes on each.  Remove from pan.

Add brandy and sage to the pan.  Scrape up the brown bits from the bottom.  Bring to a gentle simmer.  Return chicken, onions, and apples to the pan. 

Simmer an additional 20 minutes or until cooked through.  In the last 2 minutes of cooking, lay the brie slices on top of the chicken.  Cook until melted.

Serve with mashed potatoes.





2 comments:

Sue said...

This looks yummy. How do you get the garlic into your mashed potatoes? I've started boiling the cloves with the potatoes and then putting them through a garlic press before adding them to the cooked potatoes.

Good looking tart too. (I'm not being rude.)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Thanks. I lightly crush the garlic cloves and warm them in the cream - I mean milk- before adding the milk to the potatoes.