Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Sweet & Spicy Chicken

Don't you just hate it when you get into a weeknight rut?  Sometimes inspiration doesn't come and invention doesn't happen.  You end up making the same standbys night after night.  You long for just a bit of creativity to keep your blog from dying of neglect and a broken heart.

Inspiration came this week when I bought a fresh bottle of sriracha.  All my readers know how much I love sriracha.  It has a special bite - a special tang - that just doesn't compare to other hot sauces.  While some people think it needs to stay in the realm of Asian cuisine, I think it works almost anywhere you want a little extra spice.

This week I decided to spice up some weeknight chicken by using sriracha.

Spicy is always perfect with sweet, so I decided to mix it with honey and another one of my favorite ingredients, ginger.  I used boneless thighs for quicker cooking (and they have more flavor than breasts) but if I'm not in a hurry to get this one the table quickly, I would love to use bone-in chicken pieces.

This is so easy I probably don't even need to tell you the recipe.  You can probably guess the ingredients (there aren't that many after all).  



The broccoli rice on the side is just rice cooked with a knob of ginger in the water and a bit of sesame oil.  I stirred in some rice wine vinegar at the end along with some thawed frozen chopped broccoli, a tablespoon of sesame seeds, and some scallions. 

This post is short and sweet as I am about to head to Hawaii for a long-awaited vacation.  I promise many food posts when I return.

Sweet Sriracha Chicken

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 2 Tbl olive oil (or cooking oil of your choice) 
  • 4 chopped scallions, white and green parts divided.
  • 2 Tbl sriracha
  • 3 Tbl honey
  • 1 Tbl soy sauce
  • 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
Mix together sriracha, honey, soy sauce, and ginger.  Set aside.

Heat oil over medium heat and add the white parts of the scallions.  When they begin to soften, add the chicken thighs and brown about 5 minutes per side.

Pour sauce over the chicken.  Cook another 10 minutes or until cooked through and chicken is nicely glazed.  Sprinkle with the green parts of the scallions (and save a handful to serve with your rice) and serve.




No comments: