Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Brownie Time!

I made brownies!  I made brownies!  Everyone loves brownies.

Sorry.  I knew this post wasn't going to be terribly exciting, especially after blogging about Hawaii (also a post about the non-food aspect of the trip is up on my other blog if you haven't read it yet) but I did make brownies.  Since it was a new recipe idea that I came up with, I thought I should make a post about it and share the recipe.

This brownie inspiration came from a simple craving for raspberries and chocolate together.  I kept thinking of rich cake and dark chocolate and tart berries all merging together in one dense bite.  It was clearly time to make some raspberry brownies.

My barn had its annual awards dinner this past weekend.  It's a potluck and I was assigned dessert (and even if I wasn't assigned dessert, I would have brought it).  Here was my chance for the grand experiment.

Most raspberry brownie recipes I saw online either had a raspberry cream cheese swirl (husband would hate) or just had little dabs of raspberry jam scattered around them.  I wanted the raspberry fully incorporated in the brownie.  I knew the best way to do this would be to mix some quality preserves into the batter, but my concern was how this would affect consistency.  Would it make the batter too loose and keep the brownies from solidifying when baked.  The obvious solution was to increase the flour a bit, but would it work?

I used a classic one-bowl recipe that would bake enough brownies for a crowd (uses a 15"x9" pan instead of an 8" or 9" square one).  I made sure to use high quality chocolate to keep the flavor rich.  I added 1/4 cup of flour and also put in a tablespoon of cocoa powder to deepen the chocolate flavor even more.  I used raspberry liqueur instead of vanilla and mixed those raspberry preserves right into the batter.  Once they were baked, I added a ganache glaze flavored with more raspberry liqueur.

They were exactly what I dreamed they would be and they seemed to be a big hit at the dinner.  There were hardly any left at the end of the night.  Due to their dense nature and ganache topping, I called them Rapsberry Truffle Brownies.

Raspberry Truffle Brownies

Ingredients
  • 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1.5 plus sticks, plus 2 Tbl unsalted butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 Tbl raspberry liqueur, divided
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 Tbl cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves 
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream 
  • 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 15"x9" baking pan with baking spray. 

Melt 1.5 sticks of butter and unsweetened chocolate together in a bowl set over simmering water, or microwave in a microwave safe bowl.  Set aside.

Combine flour, salt and cocoa powder.  Set aside.

Beat eggs and  1 Tbl raspberry liqueur into chocolate and butter mixture until combined.  Stir in the flour mixture.  Gently stir in the preserves until combined.

Spread the brownie mixture in the pan.  Bake for 30 minutes or until set.  Allow to cool.

In a small saucepan bring the cream to a simmer.  Remove from heat and add the semisweet chocolate and stir until melted.  Stir in the remaining 2 Tbl of butter, then stir in the remaining 2 Tbl of raspberry liqueur.

Spread the ganache over the cooled brownie and refrigerate until set.  Cut into squares and serve.

No comments: