Pages

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Name of This Dessert Is Too Long for a Post Title

What do you do when you have a half a bag of coconut left in the fridge from your Almond Joy Pie and you want to use it up?

On top of having too much coconut in the house, it's also the start of strawberry season and you are craving strawberry shortcake?

Additionally, you are invited to a party and you have to take a portable dessert for a crowd?

This was my dilemma this week.  I was finally starting to see local strawberries in the farmers' markets and I was thinking about how good they would taste over homemade sweet biscuits and topped with fresh whipped cream.  Unfortunately, strawberry shortcake is not a practical potluck party dessert.  The party seemed like a better excuse to use up the coconut.

I needed to come up with a recipe that would use up  the leftovers in the kitchen that would still satisfy my cravings for strawberry shortcake.  When I ask my brain to come up with a new recipe, it always gurgles and scrunches, but it eventually spits out an answer.  Some answers are more edible than others, but I always receive an answer.

The answer was trifle.  I could make the trifle similar to strawberry shortcake and incorporate the coconut.   Instead of pound cake or sponge cake, I would use biscuits.  I would layer my biscuits and strawberries with coconut custard and top the whole thing with fresh whipped cream.

I decided to take it one step further.  One of my favorite pies is coconut and white chocolate cream pie. One of my favorite layer cakes is a white chocolate and coconut layer cake.  Even though I'm not enthusiastic about white chocolate, it does combine beautifully with coconut.  With this in mind, I added another layer of flavor and made my coconut pastry cream into white chocolate and coconut pastry cream.

I called this dessert Coconut White Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Trifle.  I couldn't seem to come up with a better, shorter, or more clever name.  I am simply telling you exactly what the dessert is.

I made my base with drop biscuits.  There is no need to make rolled biscuits for a dessert where they will be buried under goo.

I don't have a go-to pastry cream recipe. I need to find one at some point.   Every time I want to make a dessert with pastry cream, I end up on the internet searching recipes until I find one that's not too complex.  I also need to find one that works.  I have often tried pastry cream recipes that flopped.

The recipe I tried this time turned out pretty well, so maybe this will be the one.  It worked well with coconut milk replacing most of the dairy milk.

I layered the biscuits, then the cream, and then the berries.  When they were all used up, I topped it with a light cap of fresh whipped cream.  (Cream not shown in photo.)


The custard was tight and I wonder if it were less tight if it might have soaked the biscuits a bit better. I thought they stayed a tad too dry.  The cream was also a bit too sweet.  More strawberries might have also improved things.  I didn't get any complaints at the party though.  The dish was a hit, so maybe I'm too picky.


White Chocolate Coconut Strawberry Shortcake Trifle

Ingredients

Biscuits
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 Tbl sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbl baking powder
  • 1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 cup milk
Pastry Cream
  • 1 15oz can coconut milk*
  • 1/4 cup half and half*
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 4 oz good white chocolate cut into pieces 
  • 2 Tbl Malibu rum (or a tsp of coconut extract if you prefer)
  • 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
Topping and Assembly
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 Tbl confectioners sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 pints strawberries stemmed and sliced.
First make the biscuits.  Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Pulse together flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a food processor.  Sprinkle the butter over the top and pulse until the butter is evenly distributed and the mixture looks like crumbs.

Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl and gently mix in the milk.  Drop by large tablespoon fulls onto a baking sheet and bake until the tops are golden (about 15-20 minutes).  Remove from oven and set aside.

To make the custard place the chopped chocolate in a large bowl and set asside.  Whisk together half of the sugar, the egg yolks, a half cup of the milk and the cornstarch.

In a saucepan, heat the remaining milk and sugar over medium heat without stirring.  Bring to a simmer.

When the milk on the stove is simmering, whisk it to combine.  Then add some of it to the egg mixture and whisk it together quickly.  Quickly whisk the egg mixture into the milk on the stove.  Stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until it thickens.  Strain the custard into the bowl with the chopped chocolate.  Stir until it is melted and smooth.  Stir in the rum.  Finally, fold in the coconut.  Place a plastic wrap over the top and refrigerate to cool.

When you are ready to assemble the trifle, place 5 or 6 biscuits at the bottom of a trifle bowl, breaking them up if you need them to cover the bottom.  Cover them with strawberries.  Then cover the strawberries with the pastry cream.  Add another layer of biscuits to the bowl and continue layering the berries and cream.

Beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a chilled bowl (cream whips faster in a cold bowl) until fairly stiff.  Spread over the top of the trifle.

Allow to sit for a few hours for the flavors to blend and serve.




No comments: