Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Big Recipe of the Week

I'm continuing with my project of making large-volume foods to eat for a few days at a time. Rehearsals have barely begun, but it's a busy week regardless.

I decided to go Tex-Mex this week with my own little variation on tacos.

I think chipotle powder is the new sriracha. I'm obsessed with it.

If you're one of those people who think, "Cilantro tastes like soap," feel free to leave it out. I'd miss it in my tacos, but I wouldn't hate anyone who left it out because of not liking it.

This was the first time I made this (invented last night) so I'm sure the seasonings could be adjusted. Let your own tastes guide you.

I'm thinking it could also be done with just the beans (maybe mix in another can of a different type of bean?) for a vegetarian version.

Chipotle Chicken and Pinto Bean Tacos

Ingredients
1.5-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (if you insist on using breasts because you're a wuss, use them, but I urge you to try thighs as they hold up to long cooking much better)
Salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 28-oz can crushed tomoates
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chipotle powder
1 15-oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
Copious amounts of fresh chopped cilantro
Corn tortillas
Guacamole (see my post 2/29 "Doctoring the Burger" if you want a recipe)
Chopped or shredded lettuce
Shredded jack or cheddar or whatever other cheese (optional)

Put a little oil in the pan and cook that garlic up a bit. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add them to the pan. Brown them well on both sides. Drain the pan (this is crucial as I ended up with a bit of an oil slick on my sauce because I didn't do this last night). Put chicken and garlic in the pan with the tomatoes. Add the cumin and chipotle powder. Watch as the tomatoes turn a lovely, rich, rust color when you do this. Simmer the chicken for about another 10 minutes and remove. Let the sauce continue to reduce down a bit while you shred the chicken up. Add the pinto beans and the cilantro. Then add the chicken to the pan. Keep warm while you warm the tortillas in the microwave. I give them about 15 seconds per side.

Lay the tortilla on a plate. Spoon on some cheese (if using - dang those lactose-intolerant husbands). Put on the nice, warm chicken-bean mixture so the cheese gets nice and melty. Top with guacamole and lettuce and roll, baby roll. Raise those little bundles to your mouth and enjoy.

4 comments:

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

This sounds really good! I love cilantro, but my dad hates it, but being that we don't see each other too often, it is not much of a sacrifice! :)

Sue said...

YUM!

I think sriracha is the new chipotles in adobo sauce and chipotle powder is the new grey salt. Actually I couldn't think of what it was the new of... but I think sriracha is definitely not old hat or even mainstream yet.

Emiline said...

I like this Big Recipe of the Week thing. This recipe sounds great.

As for the cilantro...it does taste like soap! I've tried and tried to like it, but I'm having trouble. I'll keep trying.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)